Got a question or query?
If you have a query about any aspect of a course, please call (0115) 9100 100 to speak to an advisor, email us, or user
online Contact Form ...
Direct Link Address (URL for this page)
What will I study on the course?
This course is validated by the University of Derby and consists of the following:
- Focus on heavy metal music performance
- Work in bands
- Perform gigs
- Write songs
- Work on your on-stage performance
- Develop your music theory & write scores
- Gain session musician skills, such as improvision
- Develop employability skills
- Create promotional materials
- Market yourself, your gigs, your recordings etc.
- Learn about the context of heavy metal music & the music industry
UCAS course code: W310
What are the entry requirements for the course?
Students must have between 160 and 240 UCAS points from the following:
Don't meet the entry requirement for the course?
Click here to search for another course...
- At least two A Levels at A2, with one in a related subject area
- BTEC National Certificate or Diploma in a related subject area
- Progression Diploma with relevant Principal Learning
- Advanced Diploma with relevant Principal or Additional Specialist Learning (ASL)
- Students who have successfully completed an Access to HE course in a related area with a suitable academic reference
- Mature students with 3 years recent & relevant professional experience or other qualifications
- International students with an IELTS score of 5.5
How is my course assessed?Continuous assessment throughout the year.
University of Derby
Fees and charges
Tuition fees for all our full-time Foundation Degrees are an affordable £5,750 per year for 2013-14.
Financial support is available to full-time higher education students who meet certain criteria. Eligible students may apply to Student Finance England for a range of support including; a student loan for tuition fees, a student loan for maintenance, and a maintenance grant.
For further details about the financial support available and how to apply please visit www.gov.uk/studentfinance or call 0845 300 5090
Where possible, students should apply for financial support well in advance of the start of their programme.
ncn also offers additional support to eligible students through the Special Support Bursary. Please contact the Higher Education Team for further details.
Timetable:Three full days per week - Tuesday and Thursday plus one other day
What can I do afterwards?One year BA top up available at ncn for award of full degree.
- Musician (session, live, band member)
- Music teacher
- Employment in music publishing
- Gig promotion
- Record company
Other DetailsThe FdA in Music Performance is a practical, industry-relevant course that inspires & challenges students to create professional musical products & performances in a supportive & stimulating educational atmosphere.
Course tutor:Kirsty Proctor
Phone: 0115 9100100
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of this information, it is advisable to check information prior to
Location of courses may also change as ncn continues to improve and develop facilities.
The college reserves the right to cancel any programme if there is insufficient enrolment.
Up-to-date information on any course is available from our friendly advisors on (0115) 9100100 or via email at